Friday, April 3, 2009

Rare 1962 Chrysler Newport



Car Collector Corner
By Greg Zyla

Rare 1962 Chrysler Newport

Q: Greg, I own a 1962 Chrysler Newport 2-door coupe. I have been told by several sources but can't confirm that it is one of seven built as a dealer display model. The story goes that Chrysler spies reported that Ford and Chevy were down-sizing middle class cars (Fairlane, Chevy II), so Dodge and Plymouth attempted the same. This left nothing full-sized to compete with in the under $3,000 market. My car reportedly was one of seven built with a Dodge 880 body, a 61 Newport front clip, a 361 V8, 3-speed manual shift on the floor, a 40/60 bench seat, crank windows, manual steering, and brakes.Each one of the seven built had one option, and mine has a gold tone radio. These cars were sent to dealers to be priced at $2,939.00. The car that I have went to a dealer in Hay Springs, Nebraska. I have the build sheet but no one can find production records. I took my car to Legendary Auto Interior and they won't touch it because they can't replace the crank window door panels. My Father was a Chrysler tech in the 1960's, but never saw one like this and there is nothing in any of his old manuals. The Chrysler museum at Dearborn, Michigan, could only find records for 10 three speed transmissions which were sent to my car's assembly plant. Could you please help me find out what I have and what my car's value is? Brian K., Sodus Pt., NY

A: Brian, I’m hoping one of our readers out there can help you out, as all of the people I’ve spoken to about your car came back with the same information you received, a big zero. However, because you have the build sheet, it at least proves that the car was indeed factory built and worthy of some additional price considerations with the 3-speed floor shift. However, here’s what I’ve been able to uncover, so read on. Chrysler first used the Newport name way back in the 1940s and 1950s, but it wasn’t until 1961, as you already know, that the Newport became a standalone model. The lower price, full-size entry-level 1961 Newport carried a base price of $2,964 with the 361 V8, which is very close to your $2,939 car’s value. With the demise of the DeSoto line, the Newport was an instant hit, even in “plain Jane” version. Many had crank windows, but I don’t remember any with that 3-spped on the floor.As we move to 1962, which is your model’s year, Chrysler continued to use the 1961 body, which would mirror your car’s 1961 front end. However, over at sibling Dodge, Chrysler gave the OK to share the full-size Newport body and called it the 880 line. However, the 1962 Dodge models used the 1961 Dodge front clip and the Newport's nice looking rear end clip and interior. The Dodge Custom 880 became available in January of 1962. In your case, however, it seems your Chrysler has the Newport front end and, since Dodge shared the Newport rear clip, your car actually has the official Newport rear clip, too, so the way I see it, your car is 100-percent Chrysler as it was Dodge that shared the Chrysler rear body/interior and chassis with the Dodge front end in 1962. The rear of a 1962 Dodge Custom 880 is exactly the same as the Chrysler Newport, sans the badges.Hope this helps initially, but your car’s 3-speed manual on the floor delivered from the factory with build sheet make this all the more interesting to look into further. I’ll also check some pricing and get back to you.

(Greg Zyla welcomes reader inquiries at 303 Roosevelt St., Sayre, Pa. 18840 or at extramile_2000@yahoo.com).

For more articles like these, please pickup a copy of Auto Round-Up at your local newsstand, or visit http://www.Auto-Roundup.com/

6 comments:

  1. Greg is absolutely correct...

    I own a 62 convertible.. we share the same body style (as did the 300, and NewYorker), 60/40 seats, and goldtone radio. Your car is pure 62 Newport.

    while the push-button automatic was an option, almost all the 62 Newports were built with the automatic, I've run across a few 3-speed Newports, and even a couple of 3-speed 300's, but the vast majority are push-button

    I wouldn't count on your car being worth more for the 3-speed.. there is more to a collectibles price the rarity.. There must be a demand for the car....if production numbers were everything the 1965 300L would be selling for $100,000+ but a nice driver can be picked up for $9000

    The '62s are beautiful cars. Enjoy your car, no matter what it's worth.. I enjoy mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is weird...

    There's a 4 door '62 Newport parts car with a 3-speed on eBay right now (April 4, 2009) Item number: 180343275867

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked it out--went for only $799! Its a great buy and was listed as a parts car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. greg...in 1961 I was 19 and worked for a used car dealer in portland oregon. (I'm now 67 and winding down my career as a used car dealer myself). We went to Seattle Washington and he bought a couple of newer used Chryslers...the one I drove back (175 miles) was a 1961 Chrysler Newport 2 dr h.t. bronze and white with cloth interior and power steering and a am radio as the only options. I think it was a 318 but maybe a 361...I'm not sure but it did have a floor mounted factory three speed. The car only had about 3000 miles and what a pleasure to drive...I wish I had it today. anyway I hope this helps you answer Brian Sodus's question. John Gregg, 11416 ne 72nd Ave.,Vancouver, Wa. 98686...Main Street Motors....360-695-8582

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got this from Kevin!

    I am interested in contacting the fellow that posted the inquiry about the 62 Newport with standard trans as I have it's sister. My car is an 82,000 mile original white paint 2dr coupe survivor with a 361 floor shift 3 speed standard transmission. I am aware that the car is very uncommon and have been told that a total of 118 1962 Chryslers were produced with standards including "H" cars. As far as production on base Newport models goes I have no idea. Apparently the well known push button auto was an option on the Newport but was installed in all but a handfull of cars that had to be special ordered with the standard by the customer or the dealer for their stock. I am an optimistic man but would be surprised if one could confirm such a low production number. My other 62 is a Saratoga 2 dr coupe with auto but I have noticed a difference in the build tag between the standard car and all other 62's I've seen, the others have the tag on the left side of the firewall under the hood while the standard car has a completely different tag on the left "A" pillar stating an 's/o' number. I live in Saskatchewan Canada and know the cars history here since the early 70's. I have been trying to find more info on decoding the build tag. If you have any info or sources I can inquire to I would appreciate your help. If you can contact the person who posted the blog entry and he is interested in contacting me you can forward my e-mail address.
    Thank-you
    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete